Niels Shoe Meulman on Wikipedia.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Niels Shoe Meulman (also known as Shoe) is an internationally known artist and graphic designer. He is born, raised and based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Meulman began tagging ‘Shoe’ in 1979 and became a graffiti legend by the time he was 18. In the eighties he met New York artists like Dondi, Rammellzee, Haze, Quik and Keith Haring. He then formed the Crime Time Kings with Bando from Paris and Mode2 from London. Together they gave graffiti in Europe its own distinctive style.
In the Nineties he furthered his technique by apprenticing under the Dutch graphic design master Anthon Beeke. In the years after, he ran his own design company, Caulfield & Tensing and was partner in advertising agency Unruly, which he later turned into brand for silk scarves and a gallery.
Niels Shoe Meulman revolutionized the art of writing with Calligraffiti, an art form that fuses calligraphy and graffiti. He launched this movement in 2007 with a successful solo exhibition in Amsterdam. Since then, his Calligraffiti pieces (signed NSM) have been shown in various international exhibitions and are part of several museum collections. His recent painting style can be described as Abstract Expressionism with a calligraphic origin.
• Grafische School, Amsterdam, 1984 – 1985.
• 3D Design, 1985 – 1987, partner in graphic studio.
• Studio Anthon Beeke, Amsterdam, 1989 – 1992 , assistant graphic designer.
• Studio Lidewij Edelkoort, Paris, 1990, graphic design and production.
• Act Up Fight Back, 1990, mural in Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam.
• Muilmen Don’t Cry, 1992, exhibition with Dingeman Kuilman at Megazin, Amsterdam.
• Caulfield & Tensing I, 1992 – 1993, partner in graphic design studio.
• Post Graffiti, 1993, group exhibition at Gallery Total Art, Amsterdam.
• Top Billin’, 1994, owner clothing label.
• Sunday Violence, 1994, exhibition of silkscreens at Smart Gallery, Amsterdam.
• Blvd. magazine, 1995, photo & illustration editor.
• Caulfield & Tensing II, 1995 – 1999, partner in graphic design studio.
• Wave magazine, 1996 – 1997, art director.
• Art Directors Club Netherlands, 1997, jury member (graphic design).
• Lecture series, 1998, art schools in Den Haag, Utrecht, Pasadena.
• Streetwise, 1998, Kunsthal, Rotterdam.
• Dutch Design Dead, 1998, co-author of publication.
• Do Normal, 1998, Dutch Design in San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
• Holland International, 1998, LACE Gallery, Hollywood.
• World Expo, 1998, Lisbon.
• Art Directors Club Netherlands, 1999, jury member (typography).
• Design Academy, Eindhoven, 1999, graphic design teacher.
• Mooi Maar Goed, 1999, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam.
• FHV/BBDO, Amsterdam, 1999 – 2001, senior art director.
• G-shock, 1999, project with Eric Haze, Tokyo.
• Art Directors Club Europe, 1999, jury member (graphic design/new media).
• Body Logo, 2002, exhibition with Daniëlle Kwaaitaal at Montevideo, Amsterdam.
• Unruly, 2002 – 2004, partner in agency for creative direction and brand strategy.
• Umbro International, 2003, fashion design and marketing strategy.
• Link Magazine, 2003, re-styling and creative direction.
• UCLA Design|Media Arts, 2004, lecture and workshop.
• Rietveld Academie (Design Lab, Graphic Design), 2004, teacher.
• Academie voor Bouwkunst, Amsterdam, 2006, teacher.
• Behind the Scene #01, 2006, group exhibition at Salone del Mobile, Milan.
• Roam is my home, 2006, group exhibition Centraal Museum Utrecht.
• shoe&parra&delta&machine, 2006, group exhibition at Pakhuis De Zwijger, Amsterdam.
• Unruly Accessories, 2007, partner in scarf brand.
• Art Directors Club, New York, 2007, jury member (graphic design).
• Loud Graphix, 2007, group exhibition at 103, Berlin.
• Calligraffiti, 2007, solo exhibition at Post BG venue, Amsterdam.
• MTV Networks Benelux, 2007 – 2008, Head of Creative & Design.
• Nosmo King, 2007, solo exhibition at De Duivel, Amsterdam.
• Shoe for Heineken, 2008, streetwear collection for Heineken The City.
• Different Strokes, 2008, solo exhibition at Rush Hour, Amsterdam.
• Some Type of Wonderful, 2009, group exhibition hosted by Lifelounge, Melbourne.
• Where On Earth Have You Been?, 2009, group exhibition at Bright, Frankfurt.
• Le Miroir Vivant, 2009, solo exhibition at Tenue de Nîmes, Amsterdam.
• Le Tag, 2009, group exhibition at Le Grand Palais, Paris.
• Salon de l’Amitié, 2009, group exhibition at Arti, Amsterdam.
• Urban in Ibiza, 2009, group exhibition at Atzaro, Ibiza.
• Imagining Mozambique, 2009, group exhibition at Maxalot gallery, Amsterdam.
• Amsterdam’s Right Brainers Convention, 2009, exhibition at Chelsea Market, New York.
• Salamatina Group Show, 2009, Salamatina Gallery, Manhasset NY.
• Imagining Mozambique, 2009, group exhibition at Mass Market gallery space, New York.
• TEDxBrussels, 2009, speaker at European Parliament, Brussels.
• Flying Eyeball, 2009, group exhibition, Mayfair, London
• Millon & Cornette de Saint Cyr, auction, 2009, Paris.
• Palais de Tokyo, Paris, 2009, exhibition and auction.
• Calligraffiti, one man show, 2010, Common Ground Gallery, Berlin.
• Calligraffiti, one man show, 2010, Arty Farty gallery, Cologne.
• Conrete Playground, group show, 2010, Essen.
• TYPOBerlin international Design Conference 2010, exhibition, lecture and performance, Berlin
• STROKE.02 Urban Art Fair, solo exhibition, Munich.
• Dew Tour 2010, exhibition and performance at Sony Innov8 Park, Boston MA.
• Letters of Indepenence, 2010, solo exhibition at Salamatina gallery, Manhasset NY.
• Calligraffiti Throw Ups, 2010, solo exhibition at Project Space Arkitip Incase, Los Angeles
For recent highlights go to EVENT DATES.